Open Source Wood challenge:
Large wall panel connections
New Open Source Wood challenge is now open! The aim is to find a clever and practical way to connect LVL (laminated veneer lumber) panels into large sheets. Metsä Wood’s Open Source Wood is a platform developed to connect people and innovation in wood construction industry. We believe the only way to grow the use of wood in construction is to share knowledge.
Metsä Wood continuously awards the best designs and most active members. This time we are particularly looking for a solution to connect large Kerto LVL panels into large panels that could be used for example as wall elements.
The challenge entries must be submitted by 30 October 2019 and the best design will be rewarded with 5,000€.
- A large panel for wall element with height of 4.2 metres and length 15 metres
- Design Kerto® LVL-based (max panel size width 2.5 metres and length 15 metres from production)
- Utilises the material efficiently and does not create excess waste
- Does not rely only on a stick frame
- Can take horizontal wind loads, vertical permanent and imposed load, and has racking resistance
- Challenge entries must be submitted by 30 October 2019.
All entries must be uploaded to Open Source Wood platform through the "Share idea" form found at www.opensourcewood.com, and marked with "Panel connection" in the keyword field of the form.
- All participants must have registered and created a profile at www.opensourcewood.com with a profile picture and sufficient personal information.
- The entries are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 (CC BY 4.0) – as with all Open Source Wood uploads.
- Participants acknowledge that Metsä Wood has the right to publicize the name and idea of the winner for promotional purposes without financial remuneration.
- Metsä Wood cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes, or contest information. Metsä Wood is not responsible for any computer or electronic malfunction, server unavailability, technological glitch, or human error relating to this contest.
- Metsä Wood reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the aforementioned contest dates.
- The recipient of the reward undertakes the responsibility for all taxes and public charges payable on the reward. The reward may be subject to regulatory withholdings and deductions.
The winner will be chosen by a jury consisting of Metsä Wood’s technical experts. Their evaluation will be based on practicality, viability, innovativeness and the efficient use of wood.
The winner will be contacted personally by e-mail or telephone during November 2019. If the winner cannot be notified within fourteen (14) days, then the prize will be forfeited, and the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner chosen by the jury.